What is the BIA?
A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a is a geographic area in a municipality. A BIA board of management is an organization set up to provide certain business promotion and improvement functions within that area.
At the request of the business community, the Downtown Carleton Place Business Improvement Association was formed in 1992 according to By-law 54-92. Amendments were later made in January 1, 2003 to define the current borders and operations of the BIA.
The Downtown Carleton Place BIA promotes the downtown as a business and shopping area, not just a group of individual shops, restaurants and offices. Our basic mandate is twofold; beautification and promotion. Our ongoing floral beautification, seasonal banner program, and decorative lighting, add to the vibrant streetscape. We use promotional activities and special events to keep downtown Carleton Place foremost in the public’s mind as an attractive, pleasant place to shop, to be entertained, to work and to live.
To be the active, vibrant and healthy commercial, retail, residential and entertainment centre of
our town where people from within the community and surrounding areas live, shop, work and gather.
To promote business in downtown Carleton Place, aesthetically improve the BIA district and connect businesses to each other and the community at large.
Goals of the BIA:
- To draw a larger customer base to the BIA area.
- To develop and strengthen the business community to be a unified body.
- To be the voice of BIA businesses.
- To make the BIA area an enjoyable experience for each person who visits.
- To reflect the concerns and needs of the BIA business community to all levels of government.
- To maintain and increase awareness of the BIA to BIA members
Benefits of the BIA:
- Co-ordinated efforts – more impact and profile in the community.
- Sustained funding- ongoing fiscal and marketing management provides the ability to plan programs in advance.
- Self reliance- provides the mechanism to raise money to be spent on useful projects within our area.
- Restore pubic image- the activities of the BIA raise the profile of the area by raising money to be spent on useful projects.
- Community benefits- to build a business area that is physically attractive, well marketed and successful.
Click HERE to see our downtown shopping guide and map.